Blog View Our Blog Request Request Appointment Forms Download Our Forms Tysons Corner Potomac

How to Celebrate National Dental Hygiene Month

October 25, 2019

Filed under: Uncategorized — justforyoursmile @ 12:08 pm

man using electric toothbrush

October is a lot of things; besides being the month of Halloween, it’s also Country Music Month, Bat Appreciation Month, and National Pickled Peppers Month. But did you know it’s also National Dental Hygiene Month? That’s right, and we’ve got you covered on how to celebrate with these 4 dental hygiene tips in Tysons Corner and Potomac.

Floss

Did you know that brushing alone only cleans 60 percent of the surfaces of your teeth? When you put it that way, it makes no sense that people would put off flossing and cleaning the other 40 percent. Although recent research has suggested that flossing is not actually necessary, your dentist will definitely disagree with that. Make sure to floss before you brush your teeth every day to open up the spaces between your teeth to receive the benefits of your toothpaste.

Brush

According to the American Dental Association, you should brush your teeth at least twice a day for two minutes at a time. Additionally, be sure to use a soft-bristled brush, as medium and hard bristles can actually irritate the gum tissue and erode your enamel, or the hard-outer layer of your teeth. Apply only the gentlest pressure possible when brushing.

Rinse

Your teeth actually only make up less than half of your mouth. That means there are a lot of areas that brushing and flossing alone can’t reach. This is where antibacterial mouthwash comes in. It can reach all the places in your mouth that your brush and floss simply can’t. Just be sure to not use mouthwash with alcohol in it, as that can dry out your mouth and actually leave you more susceptible to tooth decay and gum disease.

Chew

It’s hard to bust out your toothbrush or floss in the middle of the day, especially at work or school. Do you know what the next best thing is? It’s actually chewing sugar-free gum. Studies have shown that chewing sugarless gum for about 20 minutes after a meal can actually help fight tooth decay. This is because the act of chewing stimulates the production of saliva, which rinses excess food particles and bacteria out of the mouth. Make sure to stick to sugar-free gum. Otherwise, you could be doing damage by increasing your risk for decay.

Following these 4 steps is a great way to celebrate National Dental Hygiene Month. And, of course, don’t forget to visit your dentist for a regular checkup and cleaning as well!

About the Author

Dr. Sam Osseiran has earned a prestigious Mastership with the Academy of General Dentistry for his lifelong dedication to continuing education in all disciplines of dentistry. He also received a Master of Science degree from Georgetown University for his invention of an intraoral prosthesis treatment for snoring and obstructive sleep apnea, after earning his doctorate from the same university. For more dental hygiene tips, you can contact Dr. Osseiran on his website or call his Tysons Corner location at (703) 288-4700 and the Potomac location at (301) 299-0200.

No Comments

No comments yet.

RSS feed for comments on this post.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.