Porcelain veneers offer a wonderful cosmetic dentistry treatment option for many patients. They can be used to mask the appearance of just about any flaw — leaving you with a dramatically transformed smile in just about a month. Wondering how long you can expect dental veneers to last? That depends a lot of how well you take care of them afterward. Keep reading for more from your cosmetic dentist in Tysons Corner.
THE LIFESPAN OF VENEERS
Veneers are thin porcelain coverings that are bonded to the front surface of the teeth that show when you smile. Each one is customized to precisely match the size, shape, and shade that will suit your unique facial features best. Dental porcelain cannot develop decay, but the teeth behind and around them can — and your gums are always vulnerable to gum disease. To get the most life out of your veneers, maintain excellent oral hygiene. Many veneers last for between 10 and 20 years.
A veneer that requires repair will usually need to be replaced completely. Since each one is made from a single piece of porcelain, it cannot be patched up. Fortunately, replacement is as simple as the original process.
TAKING CARE OF YOUR VENEERS
When you have your veneers placed, we will carefully walk you through proper hygiene and maintenance steps. Follow them closely and you will likely be able to enjoy your dazzling smile for years to come. Some of these tips include:
- Brush your teeth gently with a soft toothbrush and non-abrasive toothpaste. Brushing too aggressively can scratch or damage the dental porcelain. It may also wear away at the gum tissue, creating a visible line between the gums and veneers.
- Protect your veneers with a customized mouthguard if you grind your teeth at night or play a contact sport.
- Never open packages or attempt to cut through plastic with your teeth — especially once they are covered with veneers.
- Visit your dentist for routine checkups and cleanings to keep your smile healthy and clean.
- If you do notice a problem with a veneer, get in touch with our office right away! Fixing it promptly is important for your oral health and the appearance of your smile alike.
VENEERS: WORTH THE INVESTMENT
Knowing they can last for years and years with proper care, you can probably see that dental veneers are well worth the investment! If you are ready to transform your smile with this beautiful cosmetic option, we invite you to schedule an appointment to discuss porcelain veneers in Tysons Corner. We can’t wait to get started on your new smile!
MEET THE DENTIST
Dr. Sam Osseiran is a trusted cosmetic dentist serving Tysons Corner and Potomac. With considerable experience and wonderful case studies to prove it, Dr. Osseiran has been named one of America’s Top Dentists in implant and cosmetic dentistry. You are invited to schedule an appointment to learn more about porcelain veneers from the expert — call 703-844-3203 today!